We all have days when we are on the go and just need to find breakfast on the go. Instead of drive through or something full of unneeded carbs and sugar, how about a quick filling breakfast you can just grab and heat up!?!?
If you are like me, your mornings can get a little hectic! Between getting to the gym early and then having to rush to appointments, I often find myself with a short window to eat breakfast. These make ahead breakfast jars are perfect, when time is not on my side!
Yes, this does mean that you need to plan ahead, but a few minutes on a Sunday afternoon to make these, means saving time in the morning… which is worth it’s weight in gold to me!
8 slices Uncured Bacon (organic if available)
1 tbsp Coconut Oil (divided)
2 cups Potatoes (diced small)
Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
8 Eggs (whisked)
1 cup Organic Salsa
4 cups Arugula
1. Cook the bacon and wrap in paper towel while you prepare the rest.
2. Add half the coconut oil to a frying pan and heat over medium. Add the diced potato and cover with a lid. Saute periodically until browned (about 10 minutes). Transfer the potato to a dish, season with a bit of sea salt and black pepper and set aside to cool.
3. Add the remaining coconut oil to the pan and scramble the eggs until cooked through (you can always add a splash of almond milk for fluffier eggs). Transfer to a dish and set aside and allow to cool.
4. Add a few spoonfuls of salsa to the bottom of the jars (I use wide mouth pint jars). Add in a layer of potato and top with a layer of scrambled eggs then chopped bacon. Finish off with a layer of arugula and seal the jar.
5. When ready to eat, dump into a bowl, toss well and enjoy!
I usually heat mine up for about a minute and a half since I’m not a huge fan of cold eggs, but these can be eaten cold! I also will often add a little sliced avocado to mine after heating for a little extra healthy fat.
Don’t like bacon? Ham works wonders!
Arugula is a leafy green that has a slightly peppery taste. If you are not a fan of this, spinach or kale work great.
I have also used sweet potato in mine to change up the flavor a bit.
My husband is not a fan of salsa on his eggs, so he has requested cheese in the bottom of his jars instead.
Works great for a grab and go lunch also!!
So remember, a few minutes of planning and prepping can be a lifesaver down the road!